Why in the world is MMD writing a post about green cloudy pool water? What does this have to do with money?
If you own a pool, then you already know the answer – TONS! Owning a pool is quite a love / hate relationship. I love it in the summer when its 100 degrees outside and I’ve got someplace cool to take a dip. But I simply hate it every spring because getting it started is a nightmare.
How bad is it? There’s nothing worse than pulling your winter cover off only to find +20,000 gallons of puke, army green water. Last year I spent hundreds of dollars in chemicals trying to bring the cloudy pool water back to life only to ultimately get so frustrated that I drained the whole thing and then started all over again. Talk about literally pouring your money down the drain ….
How to Make Green Cloudy Pool Water Blue Again:
Don’t waste your money this year. I believe I finally have the recipe that can turn the water back to blue.
First off – you need to understand that the reason your water is green is probably because there are contaminants (dead leaves, bugs, etc) laying at the bottom of the pool and breeding algae. Until all those dead contaminants are gone, your pool will never be right. BUT how do I remove them if I can’t see them? Here’s what to do:
- First dump in a ton of liquid chlorine. I have a 27 foot pool and I ended up using a total of 12 gallons. This should turn the water from green to blue, but it will still be cloudy.
- Next you need to get the alkalinity right. I bought this stuff from Walmart called Alkalinity Plus and basically poured the whole thing in. This started to clear up the cloudiness.
- Finally I got the pH right by adding in a few scoops of pH Plus. By the time I did this, the cloudiness was almost gone. BUT now I could see the dead, nasty, decaying leaves at the bottom.
- As soon as you can see the bottom, get to work and vacuum up all that crap! The less containments, the easier time you’re going to have keeping those pool levels balanced. Don’t wait! If you do, it will only be a matter of time before you’re back to green.
So there you have it! $50 later and NOT having to drain the pool this year. Success!
Now if the weather would just get warmer, we could actually get in and be in business!
Blogs You Should Check Out:
In case you missed them, here are a few great stories you should check out this weekend:
- Evolving Personal Finance – Early Retirement Isn’t for Us
- Club Thrifty – Job Titles, Income and Net Worth
- Untemplater – 15 Solutions If You’re Feeling Unappreciated At Work
- The Happy Homeowner – Neighbors Duct Taped My Car, Selling my Condo….What to do When $hit Hits the Fan
- Modest Money - Discover IT Credit Card Review – Top Cash Back Card
Carnivals & Mentions:
My Money Design was featured on the following sites this week:
- Reach Financial Independence – Carnival of Financial Independence 13th edition
- Master the Art of Saving – Carnival of Money Pros- June 2nd
- Faithful with a Few – Lifestyle Carnival 6.2.13
- The Happy Homeowner – Finance Carnival for Young Adults
- Hurricanes Panties & Dollars – Carnival of Retirement
- Growing Money Start – Yakezie Carnival Stay Or Go Away Stock Market Flavor
- Money Soldiers – Kick-Ass Carnival of Financial Planning
Thanks to everyone for linking to my site and enjoying my posts. I really appreciate your support and hope you continue to visit!