How I Made $1,200 with One Phone Call

How I Made $1,200Ask and you shall receive, right?

Anyone who has never experimented with this mantra is missing out. It never ceases to amaze me how often I receive things at a discount simply because I asked for it. (Making deals with customers at my job has taught me that pretty much the price on anything is negotiable).

Well … this one has got to be up there as a shinning example of why you need to try this.

For a while now I noticed that my Comcast bill was too much. Whatever special promotion I had called and negotiated had expired a few months ago, and the bill sky-rocketed up to $195 per month for my cable and Internet. It was time to call them up and see if there was anything I could. And heaven forbid I take any lesser service!

However, I was going to war without a weapon. I needed some leverage if I was going to get what I wanted.

And that’s when I was going through the mail and got a solicitation from Direct TV for one of their packages. 205 channels for $35 per month with free installation and DVR. Even if you bundle this with Internet for another $60, that was still half what I was paying now. This was the bullet I needed.

I called up Comcast, made my way through the phone maze, and finally spoke to a real human being. I politely explained that I was happy with their service, but I got this great offer from Direct TV that was really making me re-consider. I then told them that although I didn’t expect them to price match, I did want to give them the opportunity to do better than $195. The service rep put me on hold …

… And then he came back with an offer: $99 per month for 12 months for the same thing.

I was both shocked and amused that Move Number 1 was to cut my price in half! But needless to say – I was pleased and took the counter-offer.

And just like that, I’ll now save almost $100 per month for the next 12 months – all for just asking. When we talk about figuring out ways to maximize your money in terms of “the least amount of effort” for “the maximum return”, this is one of those great things!

Other Bloggers Who Love Saving Money:

My Money Design was featured on the following sites this week:

Thanks to everyone for linking to my site and enjoying my posts. I really appreciate your support and hope you continue to visit!

1. Getting to Know the World’s Diamond Production by Country
  2. Rethinking My Strategy for What Stocks to Buy This Year
  3. How to Go from Hobby to a Business – An Infographic
  4. What is Financial Freedom – The Easy to Follow Explanation
  5. When You Need Fast Cash Now and Where to Find It

Image courtesy of Salvatore Vuono / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Comments

Now that’s a great example of leverage! Ironically, I could see that same scenario working negatively for me – they’d just tell me to go take it! :)

It would really complete this whole story if you used some offer from Comcast to leverage your good deal with DirecTV (basically the reverse of my situation). You’re welcome John!

I was kind of wondering the same thing about a blacklist. You KNOW they are taking notes on your account when you call them up for stuff like this. It would be hilarious to see what’s in there and relive all the times I’ve called them up for this same thing.

That’s pretty awesome! I was on that kind of roll for a while, but then they kind of de-railed me for a while. Glad I got my game back!

That’s amazing! Comcast is so evil, but it’s so funny how ready they are to negotiate when you finally get through to the right person. I had to call twice when I was redoing my contract. The first CSR was absolutely horrible. But I tried again. And got what I wanted.
    femmefrugality recently posted..Wish My Black Thumb LuckMy Profile

I think I’ve had that same rep before too! :) Sometimes it takes a few tries, but with that kind of reward, its worth the payoff!

I agree with Femme Frugality: the right rep is key to success here. So if you can’t get a great deal like MMD did, hang up and try again. Our last cable call (we’ve cancelled now and pay nothing for TV) we were lucky enough to get a rep who wanted nothing more than to keep our biz, regarless of the cost, and we got a stellar deal at $35/month. Thanks for the great post!
    Laurie recently posted..How to Have a Frugal Superbowl PartyMy Profile

Thanks Laurie and welcome to the site. $35 per month!? Outstanding work! If you had told me you got free HBO with that, I would have asked for your eBook on how you did this!

DirectTV does seem to have some pretty low, low rates. I’m surprised AT&T didn’t try harder to keep your business. It seems kind of silly they just let you go. I’ve thought more than once about Magic Jack. How has that worked out for you?

Amen to that! You’d be foolish not to at LEAST try. If you fail once, you can always call back and try again. I think the competition leverage really helped in this instance.

Last year, when I contemplated changing phone carrier from AT&T to Verizon, a single call to ATT helped me get few months free(I am paying $240 per month for four iPhones with unlimited data). That one call last about 30 mins with holds yielding almost $500 in savings LOL
    Shilpan recently posted..How to Build Kick-Ass Credit ScoreMy Profile

You’re welcome.

That’s my philosophy too. I was already paying whatever it costs, so what’s the worst that could happen if I had asked for less?

That’s a great story, but don’t forget you would have still saved the same amount of money if you chose the other offer. All they did was not rip you off. The price is still the same as with the other company.

Good point. That was going to be Move #2 if Comcast didn’t give me what I wanted. That’s the great think about leveraging the competition – options!