This week I had the pleasure of accompanying my daughter on her school class field trip to Mackinac Island (pronounced Mack-i-naw). We had an excellent time and I was really glad that I got to create this memory with my daughter.
For those of you outside of Michigan, Mackinac Island is a great trip to take. It has just a little bit of everything: Tourism, fudge, old-timey educational landmarks like a cool pre Civil War fort, a state park with lots of natural sites, etc. Plus they have quirky things about the island like “no cars allowed” – everything is by bike or horse. It’s definitely a very affordable trip that you could do in one day or make a long weekend out of.
Real Estate on Mackinac Island?
When you first get off the boat and step into Downtown Mackinac Island, there is tourism for about a mile in either direction. But later on when we got the chance to do some bike riding, we got to the see the other side of the island where the locals live. Some of the homes they had there were just plain beautiful!
I’m always impressed by the diversity of people who have their small businesses setup in towns like this where they simply cater to the masses of incoming tourism. It would be a really nice plan to setup some kind of LLC and form together a business that would thrive at a place such as this. After looking at a few LegalZoom reviews, it appears as though it wouldn’t cost that much money to set something up.
Also as I get older and become more hermit-like, the idea of escaping to my water-front mansion on a secluded island becomes more and more lucrative. So I decided to look up the prices of some of the houses I saw for sale. Here’s a small sample. Check out #1346 about half way down the page.
Yikes! $4 million? Unfortunately I think I’ve still got a pretty long ways to go before that vision becomes a reality. But it’s good to dream!
Blogs You Should Check Out:
In case you missed them, here are a few great stories you should check out this weekend:
- Club Thrifty – Why I Quit My Job: A Club Thrifty Confessional
- The Financial Blogger – How Can I Retire At 35?
- Stumble Forward – Niche Site Update: 2 Big Mistakes I Made
- Money Life and More – Is Our Student Loan Debt Killing the Economy?
- Retire Happy – How Much Income Do You Need in Retirement?
- Eyes on the Dollar – Your Credit Cards Are Paid Off, Now How Do You Stay Out of Debt?
- Candian Budget Binder – Teenage Pregnancy: Couple Makes Amazing Life Changes and A Budget!
Carnivals & Mentions:
My Money Design was featured on the following sites this week:
Thanks to everyone for linking to my site and enjoying my posts. I really appreciate your support and hope you continue to visit!
Posts This Week:
- Building My Money Earning Sites – Niche Website Update Part 5
- Using the Dividend Yield Formula to Evaluate a Stock Prospect
Image by MMD