The following post was provided by a guest contributor. If you are interested in being a guest contributor for My Money Design, please feel free to contact me.
It’s no secret that everyone wants to save on gas as much as possible. Who doesn’t want to put a few bucks back in their own pocket every now and then?
But, the truth is that most people are more interested in complaining about it than actually being proactive and seeking out solutions that will save them money on gas. Waiting for gas prices to go down is not going to get you far. However, if you put in a little time and effort, you will be surprised how many opportunities there are to reduce the amount you pay for gas.
Tips for How to Save on Gas:
Here are a number of effective ways to save money on gas in 2013:
1. Get a more fuel efficient vehicle: Driving around in a Hummer is not an effective way to save on gas. So, maybe 2013 is finally the year that you get around to buying that fuel efficient car you have been talking about.
2. Keep your eye out for contests: Many companies such as car insurance companies, dealerships, and car accessory stores frequently put on special promotions or giveaways that offer up gas cards. Why not enter a few? You never know if today will be your lucky day.
3. Get a gas app: There are a number of good apps that you can install on your smart phone that will help you save money on gas by alerting you about current gas prices and more efficient routes to take to your destination.
4. Drive less: Obviously, driving less will save you money on gas. But, sometimes this is not that easy. Trying to combine multiple trips into one trip is a good start.
5. Car pool: While we hear it all the time, carpooling is an effective way to save money on gas, while also reducing the emissions that are released into the environment.
6. Ask for gas cards as gifts: Are you tired of receiving useless gifts that just collect dust in the closet? Try asking for gas cards as a gift and get a useful gift that will also save you money.
7. Don’t skip vehicle maintenance: Skipping out on regular vehicle maintenance is not only bad for your car; it will also make it less efficient, which will lead to you burning more fuel.
8. Put it on cruise control: Using cruise control when you are on the highway is an effective way to maintain a constant speed, which will help your vehicle burn less fuel to operate.
9. Plan your routes: Planning your route ahead of time will allow you to select the most effective and shortest distance, which will save you both time and gas.
10. Reduce your load: It’s time to stop driving around with a full car. Make it a point to finally getting around to cleaning out your trunk and the back seat of your car. All that added weight adds up to you paying more at the pump.
Over time, using these 10 tips will help you save money on gas and reduce the strain on your personal budget. Sometime it is just a few minor tweaks here and there that make the most difference.
Author Bio: If you’re looking for a car insurance quote in Ontario or Alberta, check out InsuranceHunter.ca!
- Our Long Term Financial Goals and How We’ll Meet Them in the New Year
- Budgeting Advice to Help Keep You Motivated
- Building a Special Gift for Your Young Adult Children
Image courtesy of Michelle Meiklejohn / FreeDigitalPhotos.net