What Do You Think is the Worst and Best Christmas Song?

best Christmas SongWhat would the Christmas season be without the huge variety of Christmas songs out there. You’ve got your classics, your modern ones, funny ones, religious ones – there’s a little something for everyone.

So which one do you think is the best Christmas song? Which one do you like the least?

Worst Christmas Song:

Although I personally love this song, it cracks me up how many times this song will come on and people will shout how much they hate it! It’s the tune “Christmastime Is Here” by Vince Guaraldi from the lovable “A Charlie Brown Christmas” special. It’s been quoted as being one of THEE MOST depressing Christmas songs ever. Just listen to it and try not to go cry in a corner!  It also doesn’t help that Charlie Brown sulks around and ho-hums his woe’s with this song as the back-drop …

Best Christmas Song:

Rather than tell you my best Christmas song, why don’t I PLAY it for you? As many of you know, I’m a guitarist who dabbles around with recording and licensing stock music. This is a song that I’ve always been partial to, and it worked great with a gypsy-jazz style arrangement (check out the sweet guitar solo!).  So here it is for your enjoyment!

Blogs You Should Check Out:

My Money Design was featured on the following sites this week:

Thanks to everyone for linking to my site and enjoying my posts. I really appreciate your support and hope you continue to visit!

1) Goal Setting Activities for Your Personal Finances

2) Why You Need to Get Your Full 401k Matching as Early as Possible

Image Credit: abc.go.com

Comments

Have a Merry Christmas too John! Secretly I don’t really mind watching that Charlie Brown show. It makes me a little nostalgic.

Thanks Lance! I do try to keep up on my skills!

Thanks for sharing that song. I’ve never heard of it before. I’ll have to check out that You Tube link.

1. Felix Lee says

It certainly is a depressing song, but I wouldn’t name it the worst Christmas song. I know that song you posted as your best but I can’t seem to remember the title right now. One of my favorite Christmas songs is “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.” And with that, I hope everyone does!
    Felix Lee recently posted..6 Ways to Be HappyMy Profile

Ha, its not really the worst. Its just fun to see how worked up some people get over it. For instance, everyone in my family covers their ears when it comes on. I actually think it is really well put together.

The song I played is God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. The Bare-naked Ladies have a pretty good version of that song as well.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is pretty good! I really like when a good classic recording of that one comes on.

The 80′s were a really tough period for Christmas music. For example, that one with Paul McCartney called “Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time” – what is that instrument in the background? There’s also that David Bowie “Little Drummer Boy” that is pretty hard to listen to.

I know the feeling! Mrs MMD starts playing Christmas music from the day after Thanksgiving all the way up to the day after Christmas. By the end I’ve had enough!

Haha I don’t mind the depressing Charlie Brown song. Maybe something’s wrong with me. I also like Elvis’ Blue Christmas and a pretty sad Weezer Christmas song, though. Yeah, something’s wrong with me. Emotional pain makes me sentimental.

My favorite? Fairytale of New York. Least favorite? That stupid, annoying Chipmunks song.

I had no idea you were a guitarist! Sounding so great! Seems like such a great side hustle, too.
    femmefrugality recently posted..The Versatility of Cookie CuttersMy Profile

Thanks FF! I really don’t mind that Charlie Brown song either. It’s actually kind of beautiful from a musical standpoint. You can find just the instrumental portion of it on YouTube if you want to skip the depressing children’s voice. I just love how worked up people get over it!

I’ve never heard of Fairy tale of New York. That’s funny about the Chipmunks. I used to think that song had some charm, but the recent movies kind of ruined it.

Thanks for the compliment on the guitar playing. It’s a lot of fun, but not really much of a money maker though :)

Thanks for the compliment Jacob! Its not often I get to feature my guitar skills on here, so I take my shots when I can!

It’s funny the diversity of songs people are posting here. I think I’ve only heard Dominick the Christmas Donkey once. O Holy Night is a pretty one!

I think I have a one time limit on the Chipmunks or Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer before I start just getting really upset. The Grinch is a pretty good addition – I always forget about that one. I didn’t know Pearl Jam has a Christmas song! I’ve got to check that out.

1. [...] My Money Design mentioned me in What Do You Think is the Worst and Best Christmas Song? [...]

2. [...] Binder, Blue Collar Workman, iHeartBudgets, My Canuck Buck, Grown up and Stuff, Write and Get Paid, My Money Design, The Happy Homeowner, Finance Fox, The Random Path, Debt Roundup, and Budget and the [...]